Abandon everything, leave behind the hectic and stressful life of each day. Dedicate yourself to caring for the body and mind, infusing new energy through exercise, meditation, a healthy diet, and contact with nature. All in the most wonderful places on the planet.
Where to go for Yoga trips
The yoga is a vacation with all this and more. But what is it exactly? Who can practice it and what is the appropriate typology for each person? Are you passionate about yoga and want more information? We present to you all the answers to your questions …
Types of yoga tourism
Yoga is one of the systems of Indian philosophy and can be defined as the set of techniques that aim to provide the most effective tools, proven over centuries, that can help and promote a deep understanding of the body, increase vital energy, purify the body and find a better psycho-physical balance.
The yoga postures (asana) involve all parts of the body and all the internal organs are working to help eliminate physical and emotional tensions that hinder the achievement of a natural state of being.
Depending on what your expectations are and your level of preparation, you can choose between different options for a Yoga retreat trip. We present to you the most important:
1. Spiritual journey
Features: Simplicity and purification. Most of the time is devoted to rigorous physical exercise and mental cleaning.
Typology: Ashrams, a spiritual center, open to all, in which it follows a precise ritual and lives in a simple and communal way. The day is largely devoted to meditation, yoga, and prayer. You will sleep in large rooms, you will follow a vegetarian diet and you can do Ayurvedic treatments.
The price is very cheap and you can stay in an ashram as long as you want: from a minimum of 4 days (necessary to get into the spirit of the place) to one or more months.
The experience in an ashram is very intense: in addition to bringing visible physical benefits, it can make you change your perception of yourself and the world around you.
Where: India, but it has spread to many parts of the world thanks to the work of Tibetan monks.
- Who is doing a path of spiritual growth, change, or inner exploration.
- Who has a good spirit of adaptation and is ready to face a strict discipline.
- Those looking for a more authentic immersion in yoga.
- Those, who like to travel alone. The atmosphere is nice and there are many young people, it is easy to make friends.
- Who has a good level of English, since it is the language most used for classes and to communicate with other guests.
What to bring: Your favorite book, preferably the spiritual guide of a guru, to get into the atmosphere of the ashram.
- Sivananda Yoga Vedanta Dhanwantari Ashram, Neyyar Dam, Kerala, India. The ashram is inspired by the teachings of Swami Sivananda, a spiritual teacher of yoga.
2. Pleasure trip + yoga
Features: Combination of vacation and yoga. Travel to beautiful places to practice yoga, often combined with other cultural activities and visits.
They are trips organized by yoga schools or packages offered by specialized tour operators for limited groups lasting 1-2 weeks. The mornings are occupied by classes, while the rest of the time is spent on hiking and socializing. Sometimes there is the possibility of combining yoga with other activities such as surfing, cooking, reiki or diving.
Where: Ibiza, Mexico, Morocco, Portugal, Turkey, Costa Rica … You can meditate anywhere in contact with nature.
- Those who want to combine fun and fitness. Perfect for a break from daily stress, since you do sports and have good food (although strictly vegetarian diet).
- Those who travel alone. The groups are small and very open-minded, so it’s easy to make friends who share your same interests.
What to bring: A camera. Between asana and asana (yoga position) do not forget to photograph the sunsets. It will be worth it.
- Yoga Journal www.yogajournal.com/lifestyle/travel
- Anamaya Resort Costarica www.anamayaresort.com/costarica-retreats.html. Organizes themed yoga retreat: adventure & yoga, yoga & Surf, yoga & rejuvenation.
3. Beauty + yoga
Features: Packages that combine spa, beauty treatments, and yoga exercises. Purify the body with Ayurvedic medicine and improve your physical appearance.
Type: Beauty centers, spas, hotels …
Where: Around the world, but particularly in Kerala, India, the region where Ayurvedic medicine was born.
- Who wants to get fit and is not a yoga fanatic.
- Those who travel.
- Those looking for exclusive resorts and all kinds of amenities.
What to bring: A little chocolate, in case you want to skip the healthy menu …
- Samahita Yoga Retreat, Koh Samui, in Thailand, detox programs and yoga classes in one of the best resorts in the world.
- Somatheeram somatheeram.org
One of the oldest and most famous Ayurvedic Resort, overlooking the sea in South India, and with branches in Italy, Germany, and France.